Applications for the 2024 Graduate Development Program are now open.
To apply or view the job description, please visit our jobs portal.
Our department protects Australia’s natural environment and heritage sites. We help Australia respond to climate change and carefully manage our water and energy resources for the future of Australia. Our department was established on 1 July 2022.
What to expect
The Graduate Development Program is a pathway for university graduates into the Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water.
Our graduates work on some of the most important issues we are facing in Australia. Whether you are tackling climate change, advancing renewable energy, protecting our environment and national parks or securing Australia’s water resources, your work will be unique and impactful.
Our 12-month Graduate Development Program will:
- develop your existing knowledge and skills
- enhance your confidence in the workplace
- help you launch a rewarding career in the Australian Public Service.
During the program, you will undertake:
- a tailored learning and development program delivered by the Australian Public Service Academy
- three exciting and diverse rotations aligned to your skills and interests
- networking activities and events
- in-house training and development opportunities.
The breadth of our work is extensive and you will have the opportunity to work in fields including:
- Policy Development
- Program Management
- Project Management
- Compliance and Regulation
- Service Delivery
- Corporate Services.
The 2024 Graduate Development Program will commence February 2024.
What we offer
During the 12-month program, you will be provided with:
- an ongoing, entry level position, commencing at an APS 3 classification and advancing to an APS 4 or APS 5 classification on completion of the program
- a starting salary of $71,444 plus 15.4% superannuation
- targeted training and development
- an inclusive and flexible working environment
- pastoral care from a dedicated graduate team
- access to employee and professional networks
- a comprehensive relocation package if you need to move to Canberra or interstate.
You will learn new skills, work in a collaborative environment and be part of an experienced and motivated team. No matter your interest, our Graduate Development Program will prepare you for a rich and rewarding career.
Our ideal graduate
We are looking for the next generation of leaders.
Our graduates come from a broad range of backgrounds, study areas and work and life experiences. If you are motivated, passionate and want to contribute to our important work, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for talented graduates that will help us deliver on important priorities and foster our positive workplace culture.
We encourage you to apply if you:
- like to tackle important issues
- are open to doing things differently
- are flexible and adaptable to new situations
- are self-aware and mindful of the impact you have on others
- operate with respect, integrity and ethical behaviour
- enjoy a challenge and thrive off achieving results.
We also recruit through the Australian Government Graduate Program Streams. This includes the STEM, Digital, Data, Human Resources, Accounting and Financial Management, Indigenous and Legal Streams.
Our commitment to diversity
People are our most important asset. We pride ourselves on our positive, supportive and inclusive workplace culture that nurtures talent and encourages employees to achieve their full potential. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, mature age people, people from diverse backgrounds and people with disability.
If you have a question about the program or application process, please contact Chandler Macleod via email at DCCEEW.Graduates@chandlermacleod.com or by telephone on 1800 242 560.
Connect with us
Authorised by the Australian Government, Canberra