The Australian Government has announced the 5 release areas for the 2021 Offshore Greenhouse Gas Storage Acreage Release.
The acreage release areas are across 3 offshore basins:
- Northern Carnarvon.
They are all available for work-program bidding. Companies have the opportunity to submit bids on release areas from Friday 4 March 2022 to Thursday 10 March 2022.
Industry nominated the release areas. Then we held public consultation to determine the final areas.
Geoscience Australia partnered with us to provide geological information to support this release.
- The Minister announced the 2021 GHG acreage release on 6 December 2021
- See the public consultation on our Consultation hub.
- The acreage release is an initiative to support the deployment of carbon capture and storage.
- Read about how we regulate offshore greenhouse gas storage in Australian Commonwealth waters.
- Learn more about the offshore greenhouse gas storage acreage release process.