The latest Quarterly Update of Australia’s National Greenhouse Gas Inventory is now available.
The report estimates Australia’s total greenhouse gas emissions for the year to March 2022 to be 487.1 Mt CO2-e, up 1.5% or 7.4 Mt CO2-e) on the previous year.
This increase in emissions reflects movements across the sectors, including:
- Ongoing reductions in emissions from electricity
- Increased transport emissions reflecting a continuing recovery from the impacts of COVID restrictions on movement
- Increased emissions from stationary energy (excluding electricity), agriculture, and fugitive emissions
Emissions in the year to March 2022 were 21.6% below emissions in the year to June 2005 (the baseline year for Australia’s 2030 target under the Paris Agreement).
- The Minister announced the Quarterly Update on 31 August 2022.
- See how we track and report greenhouse gas emissions as part of Australia’s National Greenhouse Accounts
- Read about our department’s climate change strategies