The latest Quarterly Update of Australia’s National Greenhouse Gas Inventory: September 2022 is now available.
The report shows emissions were 490.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent in the year to September 2022 – 0.1% or 0.3 million tonnes higher than the same period in 2021.
The trend over the year reflects movement across the sectors, including:
- Ongoing reductions in emissions from electricity
- Increased transport emissions reflecting a continuing recovery from COVID related travel restrictions
- Increased emissions from agriculture, due to the continuing recovery from drought.
Emissions in the year to September 2022 were 21.0% below June 2005 levels – the base year for Australia’s 2030 Paris Agreement target.
- The Minister announced the Quarterly Update
- View previous National Greenhouse Gas Inventory: Quarterly Updates
- See how we track and report greenhouse gas emissions as part of Australia’s National Greenhouse Accounts
- Read about our department’s climate change strategies.