The Australian Government is inviting input on proposed new requirements for native vegetation regeneration projects under the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF).
The ERF incentivises Australian businesses to cut greenhouse gases and undertake activities that store carbon. It can provide new income streams to farmers and provide environmental and productivity benefits.
The proposed requirements:
- introduce a new category of excluded offsets projects
- improve monitoring of compliance with rules to manage pests and weeds.
The changes aim to avoid negative impacts of native forest regeneration projects. These include reduced agricultural productivity and flow on effects for local communities.
The requirements would apply to proposed new projects under 2 methods:
- human-induced regeneration
- native forest from managed regrowth.
Submissions are welcome until 14 January 2022.
- Find out more about the ERF
For information on this consultation, email the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources: ERFForests@industry.gov.au.