Community batteries are switching on! The first of 400 batteries through the Community Batteries for Household Solar program is charging up.
Minister for Climate Change and Energy Chris Bowen joined community members to switch on the first battery in Cabarita, Sydney.
This battery will store power from around 50 households with rooftop solar in the Cabarita community. It will also share electricity with around 150 households.
In total, the program will store excess solar energy for use by up to 100,000 families and households.
Collectively, the batteries will:
- lower electricity bills and emissions
- store solar energy for use during peak times and when the sun isn’t shining
- support more households to install rooftop solar
- allow households who cannot install solar panels to enjoy the benefits of renewable energy
- reduce pressure on the electricity grid.