We protect Australia’s natural environment and heritage sites. We help Australia respond to climate change and carefully manage our water and energy resources. The new department has been established to deliver on the Government’s climate change and energy agenda and protect Australia’s environment and water resources.
We deliver policies and programs to:
- help address climate change and build a more innovative, future ready energy system
- protect our unique environment, biodiversity and heritage
- manage Australia’s water resources for industry and regional communities
- advance Australia’s interests in the Antarctic and Southern Ocean.
We are informed by science. We are innovative and collaborative. We look to the future.
Our role is diverse and far reaching.
We work across the breadth of our vast and valuable resources. On the land and water and in towns and cities. We:
- drive climate action and invest in technologies that lower emissions
- secure a reliable, affordable and sustainable energy system
- protect and manage Australia’s biodiversity, ecosystems and heritage
- support sustainable natural resource management
- manage Australia’s water resources for the environment, industry and communities
- provide data and analysis on climate, energy and the environment.
We work with our stakeholders, governments and the public to achieve our objectives.
We seek feedback through:
- public consultation
- industry forums
- consultative committees
- international delegations
- working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
Discover how you can share your ideas.
To meet our objectives, we:
- provide advice to the Australian Government
- deliver programs
- administer legislation.
We are a regulator.
We enforce laws relating to:
- protection of the environment and biodiversity
- use of pollutants and hazardous substances
- import and export of wildlife
- fuel quality
- offshore greenhouse gas storage.
Read more about our responsibilities and the laws we administer.