This Methodology Determination (method) provides the rules for crediting emissions reductions from the management of manure at piggery and dairy businesses as part of the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF). The method credits emissions reductions achieved through destroying or avoiding methane emissions from managing animal effluent. It also credits the conversion of captured biogas into biomethane for use as a natural gas substitute within Australia.
Read the Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative – Animal Effluent Management) Methodology Determination 2019.
Using the method
To use this method and take part in the ERF, you need to apply to the Clean Energy Regulator. The Regulator develops the methods and manages project registration, compliance and crediting emissions reductions for projects under the ERF.
Visit the Regulator’s website for:
- information on the method and how to use it
- project planning guidance, including eligibility requirements and how to apply.
Methods replaced by this method
This method replaced three other methods. You can’t register a new project using these methods but existing projects can opt to stay on them or move to the updated method:
- The Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative) (Destruction of Methane Generated from Dairy Manure in Covered Anaerobic Ponds) Methodology Determination 2012
- The Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative) (Destruction of Methane Generated from Manure in Piggeries-1.1) Methodology Determination 2013
- The Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative) (Destruction of Methane from Piggeries using Engineered Biodigesters) Methodology Determination 2013
Consultation on the method
The Emissions Reduction Assurance Committee (ERAC) conducts public consultation before giving advice about making or varying a method. Once finalised the ERAC advises the Minister on whether the new or varied method meets the offsets integrity standards.
Read the ERAC’s advice to the Minister on making the method in 2019 [624KB PDF].
See the public consultation and method draft on our Consultation hub.
Read the ERAC’s advice to the Minister on varying the method in 2021 [654KB PDF].
See the public consultation and variation draft on our Consultation hub.
- Read about the Emissions Reduction Fund, including our department's role.
- Read about method development and available methods.
Connect with us
- Subscribe to updates about the ERF
- Read emissions reduction news