This Methodology Determination (method) provides the rules for crediting the emissions reductions achieved by reducing the emissions intensity per unit of transportation service. Under the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF), emissions reduced by modifying planes, changing energy sources, and changing operational practices can receive credits.
Using the method
To use this method and take part in the ERF, you need to apply to the Clean Energy Regulator. The Regulator develops the methods and manages project registration, compliance and crediting of emissions reductions for projects under the ERF.
Visit the Regulator’s website for:
- information on the method and how to use it
- project planning guidance, including eligibility requirements and how to apply.
Consultation on the method
The Emissions Reduction Assurance Committee (ERAC) conducts public consultation before giving advice about making or varying a method. Once finalised the ERAC advises the Minister on whether the new or varied method meets the offsets integrity standards.
The draft method was originally provided for public consultation as a combined Transport method. Due to feedback, the method was split into separate determinations for Aviation and for Land and sea transport.
- View the Land and sea transport method
- Read about the Emissions Reduction Fund, including our department’s role.
- Read more about method development and available methods.