The Australian Government’s new National Climate Resilience and Adaptation Strategy 2021 – 2025 positions Australia to better anticipate, manage and adapt to our changing climate.
The Strategy provides a path towards a more climate resilient Australia for our current and future generations. Three interlinked objectives will ensure Australians can better protect our natural assets, build community resilience and generate economic opportunities.
- Drive investment and action through collaboration
- Improve climate information and services
- Assess progress and improve over time
Australian Government actions
The Australian Government will continue to work with all levels of government, business and the community to ensure our actions to implement the Strategy complement and reinforce existing actions.
The Australian Government will drive investment and action through collaboration by:
- providing enhanced national leadership and coordination through a new National Adaptation Policy Office, and
- partnering with governments, businesses and communities to act and invest.
By working together, we can direct adaptation efforts and guide financial flows to the highest adaptation and resilience priorities. This will minimise climate impacts and unlock opportunities across Australia’s natural, built, social and economic domains.
The Australian Government will improve climate information and services by:
- delivering coordinated climate information and services to more users, and
- continuing to deliver world-class climate science and research that informs successful adaptation.
Improved climate information and services will help Australians and Australian businesses understand how the climate is changing and make better decisions to adapt.
The Australian Government will assess adaptation progress, so we can evaluate and strengthen our adaptation responses over time by:
- delivering a regular cycle of national assessments of climate impacts and adaptation progress, and
- monitoring and independently evaluating progress over time.
A recurring national assessment and defined performance metrics will ensure we are objectively tracking progress and can prioritise investments to ensure future economic prosperity.
The Strategy also sets the path to deeper cooperation with our Indo-Pacific neighbours, international partners, and the global community. By working together, we can share our expertise and experience to better target our investments and the maximise benefits.
Adaptation is a key pillar of the Paris Agreement and a critical part of our response to climate change. Adaptation goes hand in hand with our action to reduce emissions.