Ecosystems across Australia and our region reduce emissions by sequestering carbon and allow us to adapt to climate change by protecting communities from floods and storm surges.
Nature-based solutions (NbS) are actions that protect, manage, or restore these ecosystems in ways that provide benefits to communities and ecosystems at the same time. For example:
- Coastal ecosystems provide breeding grounds for commercial fish, thereby supporting fisheries, local communities and improving food security.
- Soil provides essential ecosystem services that support and contribute to Australia’s economic, environmental, and social wellbeing, including food and fibre production; water storage, filtration and nutrient cycling; and carbon storage.
Protection, restoration and management of vital and vulnerable ecosystems, such as coastal blue carbon ecosystems, forests and soils is recognised as key nature-based solutions to climate change.
Investing in nature-based solutions for adaptation and mitigation to climate change provide multiple benefits including:
- protecting biodiversity and threatened species,
- contributing to climate mitigation through carbon sequestration,
- making communities more resilient to climate change,
- contributing to food security, and
- supporting businesses reliant on healthy ecosystems such as fishing, tourism and agriculture.
Australia is supporting nature-based solutions through
Coastal blue carbon ecosystems
Protection and restoration of coastal blue carbon ecosystems and wetlands by funding research, on ground restoration projects, capacity building and global partnerships.
National Soil Strategy
Valuing, managing, and improving Australia’s soil through the National Soil Strategy.
Agriculture Biodiversity Stewardship Package
Rewarding farmers for their biodiversity services through the Agriculture Biodiversity Stewardship Package.
Financing Solutions for Nature
Financing Solutions for Nature by unlocking private sector investment.
- Australia’s climate change strategies
- Climate adaptation
- Climate science
- Climate services and tools
- International climate adaptation
- Adapting Australia's unique environment to climate change
- Ocean Sustainability and Climate Change
- Climate change and the agricultural sector
- Adapting to climate change publications and resources