The National Greenhouse Accounts are a series of reports and databases that estimate and account for Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions. The 2021 accounts cover the period 1989-90 to 2020-21.
- fulfil Australia’s international greenhouse gas inventory reporting commitments
- let us track progress towards, and compliance with, Australia’s emissions reduction commitments
- help us design, implement and evaluate domestic emissions reduction policies
- inform future emissions reduction commitments.
National Inventory Report
The National Inventory Report fulfils Australia’s international inventory reporting requirements under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Paris Agreement.
These emissions estimates are prepared in line with UNFCCC and Paris Agreement reporting requirements and IPCC guidelines.
Read the National Inventory Report 2021.
State and Territory Greenhouse Gas Inventories
An overview of annual greenhouse gas emissions estimates for each Australian state and territory, based on UNFCCC classifications. These Accounts are a disaggregation of the data contained in the National Inventory Report 2021.
National Inventory by Economic Sector
An overview of annual greenhouse gas emission estimates by economic sector per the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC). This Account is a disaggregation of the data contained in the National Inventory Report 2021.
Explore scope 1 and scope 2 emission estimates by economic sector for 1989-90 to 2020-21.
See how we develop the national inventory by economic sector.
- How we track and report greenhouse gas emissions
- How we project and estimate greenhouse gas emissions
- How we fulfil Australia’s other reporting obligations under the UNFCCC
- Read previous issues of the National Inventory Report
- We also publish quarterly updates of Australia’s National Greenhouse Gas Inventory
- Visit Australia’s National Greenhouse Accounts (ANGA) website to explore historical emissions data and projections of future emissions