Australia has abundant and high-quality offshore wind resources in a range of locations.
Unlocking the power of offshore wind in Australia will help improve energy security as coal fire power stations retire, as well as improving affordability, and sustainability and bring us another step closer to net zero by 2050.
An offshore wind industry in Australia will provide opportunities to reduce emissions and, importantly, fast track job and economic development opportunities for regional Australia, particularly in clean energy generation and green manufacturing.
The Australian Government has established a regulatory framework for offshore wind to realise the potential of some of the best wind resources in the world. We are attracting strong international interest to invest in Australia and create a new renewable energy industry.
The Australian government is assessing 6 high priority areas around Australia. These areas have the potential to produce the renewable energy needed to support Australia becoming a clean energy superpower.
We are responsible for:
- developing and implementing a legal framework for offshore renewable energy in Australia
- consulting with the public on priority areas identified as having exceptional offshore wind potential
- developing frameworks and policies to ensure the emerging offshore wind industry is successful and sustainable.
We are also responsible for the assessment of applications under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
The Australian Energy Infrastructure Commissioner is responsible for receiving and referring complaints from the community about wind farms. The role of the Commissioner is to provide greater transparency on information related to proposed and operating wind farms.
Establishing rules and processes for the offshore wind industry
Seeking public feedback before an area is declared
Developing a sustainable and successful industry
Get the facts
- Sign up for our newsletter 'Australian offshore wind news' using our subscription form.
- Learn more about the path to Net Zero by 2050
- Find out about our role in boosting renewable energy
- Read about our energy priorities
- Read about our climate change strategies
- Find out more about investing in renewable energy in Australia