The Australian Government Minister for the Environment may make or adopt and implement recovery plans for threatened fauna, threatened flora (other than conservation dependent species) and threatened ecological communities listed under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Recovery plans set out the research and management actions necessary to stop the decline of, and support the recovery of, listed threatened species or threatened ecological communities. The aim of a recovery plan is to maximise the long term survival in the wild of a threatened species or ecological community.
Recovery plans should state what must be done to protect and restore important populations of threatened species and habitat, as well as how to manage and reduce threatening processes. Recovery plans achieve this aim by providing a planned and logical framework for key interest groups and responsible government agencies to coordinate their work to improve the plight of threatened species and/or ecological communities.
Making or adopting a recovery plan
Recovery plan guidelines have been developed to provide information on how to go about preparing a recovery plan and explaining the content requirements for a recovery plan.
Before making a recovery plan for a listed threatened species or listed threatened ecological community, the Minister must:
- consult with the appropriate Minister of each state and territory in which the species or ecological community occurs
- consider advice from the Threatened Species Scientific Committee
- invite public comment on the proposed plan
- consider all comments received
- Proposed changes to conservation planning decisions
- Recovery plans made or adopted
- Draft recovery plans open for public comment
- Recovery planning action commenced list at the time of EPBC Act amendments, February 2007 (revised June 2009, corrected November 2009) (PDF - 136.67 KB) | (RTF - 1.52 MB)
- Recovery planning action not commenced list at the time of EPBC Act amendments, February 2007 (revised June 2009, corrected November 2009) (PDF - 188.6 KB) | (RTF - 1.57 MB)
The Minister may also adopt a recovery plan made by a state or territory provided that it meets the requirements for adoption under the EPBC Act.
For a comprehensive understanding of the provisions relating to nomination and listing, you should refer to: