We audit projects approved under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). Projects with approval conditions might impact protected matters if not implemented correctly.
We also audit permits granted under the Environment Protection (Sea Dumping) Act 1981.
Compliance audits help us to:
- ensure approval and permit holders implement their project as planned
- check how well approval and permit holders understand and apply the conditions of their approvals
- improve the effectiveness of our operations.
Learn more about how we audit through our:
- compliance policy, which outlines our approach
- Compliance Plan 2019-2023, which lists our priority compliance outcomes.
If you believe we need to audit a particular project, you can report a breach.
This plan covers projects across all sectors, including:
- mining and energy
- ports and marine
- urban development
We choose projects to audit based on a risk-focused strategic selection process, which focuses on projects within priority high-risk sectors.
Some projects have scheduled third-party audits or directed environmental audits written into their approvals.
The objectives of the compliance plan are to:
- measure compliance with conditions attached to approval and permit decisions, and requirements outlined in particular manner decisions
- identify any breaches and ensure they're appropriately addressed through education, remediation or enforcement actions
- evaluate conditions and requirements for enforceability, comprehension and ease of assessment
- demonstrate to the community that systems exist to measure and enforce compliance.
Read our Independent Audit and Audit Report Guidelines (2019).
Summaries of compliance audit findings
|EPBC Number (date)||Project name||Audit findings|
EPBC 2010/5642 (2019)
RTA Weipa Pty Ltd - Amrun Project, Weipa, QLD
EPBC 2002/773 (2019)
Moorebank Intermodal Terminal Facility Project, Moorebank, NSW
EPBC 2011/6229 (2019)
SIMTA - Moorebank Intermodal Terminal Facility Project, Moorebank, NSW
Some audit findings appear on the approval holder's website. Please check their website first, and if you need further help, contact us on email@example.com.
Older compliance audit findings
You'll find summaries of findings for projects audited since 2006 on the Trove Website Archive, maintained by the National Library of Australia.
- 2019 compliance audits
- 2018 compliance audits
- 2017 compliance audits
- 2016 compliance audits
- 2015 compliance audits
- 2014 compliance audits
- 2013 compliance audits
- 2012 compliance audits
- 2011 compliance audits
- 2010 compliance audits
- 2009 compliance audits
- 2008 compliance audits
- 2007 compliance audits
- 2007 Burnett River Dam (Paradise Dam) compliance audit report
- 2006 compliance audits
Get in touch
Director, Environmental Audit Section
Environment Compliance Branch Australia
GPO Box 3090
Canberra ACT 2600