The National Vegetation Information System (NVIS) is a long-running, core environmental information system managed, maintained and made accessible by Geospatial and Information Analytics (GAIA) - formerly Environmental Resources Information Network (ERIN) - within the Department. GAIA maintains the NVIS on behalf of, and with the contribution of, all state and territory agencies who collect, develop and maintain data on their vegetation, in accordance with their legislative and policy priorities.
To ensure the NVIS continues to be managed, maintained and improved in ways which accord with the needs of all governments and the wider community, GAIA relies on ongoing technical engagement and collaboration with state and territory counterparts who own and manage much of the fundamental data that the NVIS compiles.
Role and Purpose
The NVIS Technical Working Group (TWG) meets biannually to provide a national forum for:
- Agreeing on and fostering coordinated action by all members for the development, implementation, maintenance and improvement of the NVIS framework (including attribute standards, the Data Compiler and the NVIS Database);
- Identifying and addressing technical issues to enhance the quality and integrity of the content of the NVIS fundamental dataset (for example, facilitate edge matching across borders);
- Consultation on the development and distribution by GAIA of NVIS data and information products;
- Exchanging ideas on best practice approaches to vegetation information development and management; and
- Agreeing on key messages and communication methods to ensure NVIS users are well informed about current and emerging technical capacities within the NVIS with potential to support their needs.
ACT - Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate
NSW - Office of the Environment and Heritage
NT - Department of Environment and Natural Resources
QLD - Department of Environment and Science
SA - Department for Environment and Water
TAS - Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
VIC - Department of Environment Land Water and Planning
WA - Agriculture and Food, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development
WA - Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions
Cwlth - Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES), Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Cwlth – Geoscience Australia