Read about ozone protection, the chemicals that can damage and deplete the ozone layer and what Australia, and the world, is doing to combat this major environmental issue.
Our factsheets will give you key information and our science pages provide detailed information. There is also a quiz to test your knowledge.
The ozone layer
Ozone depleting substances
Ozone depleting substances are chemicals that destroy the earth’s protective ozone layer.
Synthetic greenhouse gases
Synthetic greenhouse gases are artificial chemicals that were introduced as replacements for ozone depleting substances.
How much do you know about the ozone layer, ozone depleting substances and synthetic greenhouse gases? Take our quiz to find out.
All the information you need to get 10 out of 10 is on the four factsheets listed above. Good luck!
- Polar ozone holes
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO )
- Bureau of Meteorology
- Australian Antarctic Division
- Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Ozone Secretariat
- Multilateral Fund for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)