Following the introduction of the Recycling and Waste Reduction Act 2020 in December 2020, there have been changes to the type of waste material you can export and how you export it.
Determine whether you need a licence
You need a licence to export waste when all of the following apply:
- we regulate the waste material you want to export
- you own the waste to be exported
- the waste material meets licensing requirements.
If we regulate the waste material you want to export but it doesn't meet licensing requirements, you cannot export it.
Find out about the waste materials we regulate.
Find information about:
Before you apply
Before you apply for a licence:
- consider whether you can meet our fit and proper person check
- make sure you can provide appropriate evidence with your application
- check whether your exports also need to meet hazardous waste requirements
- make sure you can meet the requirements of the importing country. It is your responsibility to find out these requirements and meet them.
Apply for a licence
If you need a licence, find out:
- how to apply for one
- the documents to provide with your application
- about fees and charges.
We publish information about licence holders.
Manage your licence
There are things you need to do when you have a licence, including:
- keep records
- comply with the conditions of your licence
- advise us of changes to your licence or business
Find out more about managing your licence.
Declare your export goods
Before you export, you need to declare each consignment:
- through our WELD portal
- then through the Australian Border Force’s Integrated Cargo System (ICS).
To make a declaration through our WELD portal you need either a licence or an exemption from holding a licence.
Find out more about declarations.
Export agents and freight forwarders
Export agents and freight forwarders can apply for a licence if they export waste material.
They can also be nominated by exporters to make licence variations, renewals and exemptions, and/or export declarations.
Find out more about export agents and freight forwarders.
In very limited circumstances, exporters may be eligible for an exemption from holding a licence, making declarations to us, or another exemption.
Find out more about exemptions.