If the specific kind of regulated waste plastic you export and the circumstance under which you export it is on the Waste Plastic Exports List, you can notify the department of your intention to export the plastic before you export your first consignment, rather than:
- apply for a waste export licence, and
- declare your consignments to our department in the WELD portal.
The kinds of waste plastic and circumstances of export on the Waste Plastic Exports List is limited.
We will only include kinds of waste plastic and circumstances of export on the Waste Plastic Export List if it is consistent with the objects of the Recycling and Waste Reduction Act 2020.
You cannot apply for your waste plastic exports to be included on the Waste Plastic Exports List as the list applies to all exports rather than individual exports. Individual exporters can apply for an exemption in limited circumstances. Find out more about exemptions.
The Waste Plastic Exports List can change at any time. You should:
- not assume at any time that a waste export licence is not required
- check that your export is on the Waste Plastic Exports List at the date of export.
If required, permits will only be generated between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday AEST. Permits will not be issued outside of these times. You will need to plan your exports in advance and engage with the department as early as possible on the intended export.
Term of listing
Items may be added to and removed from the Waste Plastic Exports List at various times. It is your responsibility to check the List regularly to ensure your exports comply with the law.
Once an item on the list expires you may need to apply for an exemption for those items previously covered by the list.
What you need to do
- Find out if your waste plastic and the circumstances under which you are exporting it are on the Waste Plastic Exports List.
- Before exporting, notify us of your intention to export waste plastics that are on the Waste Plastic Exports List by:
- completing, signing and dating the Waste Plastic Exports List notification form
- providing all information and documents required in the form
- emailing the form, information and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will notify you when we receive your notification form.
- Before you declare each consignment to the Australian Border Force’s Integrated Cargo System (ICS):
- check that the waste plastic you want to export is still on the list
- you may need to let us know about the consignment by emailing email@example.com. You may not be able to make a declaration in the ICS unless you let us know.