Exporters of tyres for retread need to show in their waste export licence application that each facility they intend to export tyres to is appropriate to retread them.
TSA’s Foreign End Market Program
TSA’s Foreign End Market (FEM) verification program is the only global platform aimed at verifying that Australian-generated end-of-life tyres are not causing environmental or social harm at their final destination. Exporters of tyres for retread do not have to be members of TSA to access the program. You can find out more on the TSA website.
The party that assesses the retread facility:
- can be an Australian or international organisation
- must be qualified (Australian or international) to assess the facility
- must be independent of you and the retread facility.
The review may cover:
- the nature and details of the business, including number of employees
- whether the business holds a current business licence
- whether the business holds all required environmental permits, licences and registrations
- whether the business holds relevant import and export licences
- the inspection process of imported tyres
- the retreading process
- the handling and disposal process of tyres that are inappropriate for retreading
- policies or processes for the safe transportation of products to and from the facility
- the number of tyres stored on site
- the main suppliers of tyres for retread to the facility
- the main buyers of the facility’s retreaded tyres.
Documents to provide
In your licence application, you should provide:
- evidence of the third-party reviewer’s accreditation and/or qualifications, and their experience as a reviewer and
- a report and/or documents on the outcome of the review.
The report and/or documents should include a response to each of the items to be covered during their review. This includes detailing licences and registrations, lists of suppliers and buyers, and describing, or providing a copy of, the processes followed.
Find out other documents you need to provide with your application.
Privacy and Confidentiality
All third-party documents you provide will be handled confidentially for the purpose of assessing your application. For more information, please see the department’s privacy and confidentiality notice, which can be accessed through your WELD account.