Stop Food Waste Australia was established to deliver the National Food Waste Strategy. The strategy sets a target to halve Australia’s food waste by 2030.
Stop Food Waste Australia is a partnership that includes representatives from across the food supply chain. All levels of government are also involved.
The organisation delivers food waste reduction initiatives that span from farm to fork. Their key deliverables include:
- implement the Australian Food Pact
- developing new and implementing existing sector action plans
- encouraging collaboration between participants in the food supply chain
- establishing a framework to check and report on progress.
Stop Food Waste Australia’s work will help to deliver the National Waste Policy Action Plan.
Australian Food Pact
The Australian Food Pact supports organisations across the food supply chain to reduce their food waste. The Pact is a voluntary initiative that focuses on:
- preventing waste
- promoting food reuse and donation
- achieving supply chain transformation and innovation.
Stop Food Waste Australia supports Pact members to develop and put in place a tailored food waste action plan. Actions in the plan may involve:
- designing and sourcing more sustainable products
- developing strategies to make farming and manufacturing more efficient so we produce more with less
- raising awareness and changing culture around food waste in businesses
- supporting the donation of surplus food
- transforming surplus food into new products.
Membership provides access to tools, resources and expert advice to support these outcomes. The Pact also encourages information sharing and supply chain collaboration between participating organisations.
The types of organisations that can sign up and develop a food action plan include:
- primary producers
- food manufacturers
- food and grocery retailers
- food service organisations.
Other organisation types that can sign up to support Pact outcomes include:
- food rescue organisations
- food industry representative organisations
- businesses that provide solutions to reduce food waste.
Sector Action Plans
Sector action plans identify priority actions to reduce food waste in specific sectors. Plans are produced by industry, for industry to ensure targeted interventions are developed.