Competitive grants round
The Australian Government has opened a grants round to support new and existing product stewardship schemes. The grants are part of the $20 million National Product Stewardship Investment Fund.
Grants will be available to cover project costs from $300,000 to $1 million.
What is product stewardship?
Product stewardship encourages shared responsibility between producers, users and all levels of government to manage the impacts of products from the beginning to the end of life, for the benefit of our community and environment.
The Australian Government supports voluntary industry-led programs and co-regulatory schemes to encourage the diversion of products from landfill and the recycling of recovered valuable materials.
Programs like these help to address our increasing waste problem and manage those products that contain potentially harmful substances from impacting the community or environment.
About the Fund
The National Product Stewardship Investment Fund aims to increase the number of industry-led product stewardship schemes in Australia.
The program’s intended outcomes include:
- an increase in new, and expansion of existing, industry-led product stewardship schemes
- increased availability, access to, and use of product recycling schemes
- increased rates of recycled materials and reduced waste to landfill
- contributing to the national target of 80 per cent resource recovery by 2030 under the National Waste Policy Action Plan.
How to apply
You can apply at business.gov.au/NPSIF.
Successful applicants will be notified later in the year, with projects to be completed over the next three years.
Applications are open to:
- an incorporated not for profit organisation
- an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust
- an incorporated association
- an entity, incorporated in Australia
- a company limited by guarantee.
Applicants must intend to develop a business case, design, implement or trial a new scheme, or expand an existing scheme.
Full eligibility criteria are outlined in the grants guidelines at www.business.gov.au/NPSIF.
Applications can be lodged at www.business.gov.au/NPSIF.