Comments on this proposal closed on 10 March 2022. The text and documents below remain available for reference only.
The Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment has received applications and the applicant’s assessment reports to include 17 aquarium rainbowfish on the Live Import List under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
These species include:
- Glossolepis dorityi (Grime Rainbowfish)
- Glossolepis ramuensis (Ramu River Rainbowfish)
- Glossolepis pseudoincisus (Tami River Rainbowfish)
- Glossolepis multisquamata (Mamberamo Rainbowfish)
- Glossolepis maculosus (Spotted Rainbowfish)
- Glossolepis kabia (Kabia Rainbowfish)
- Glossolepis wanamensis (Lake Wanam Rainbowfish)
- Chilatherina alleni (Allen’s Rainbowfish)
- Chilatherina axelrodi (Axelrod’s Rainbowfish)
- Chilatherina bleheri (Bleher’s Rainbowfish)
- Chilatherina bulolo
- Chilatherina campsi (Highlands Rainbowfish)
- Chilatherina fasciata (Barred Rainbowfish)
- Chilatherina lorentzii (Lorentzi’s Rainbowfish)
- Chilatherina pagwiensis (Pagwi Rainbowfish)
- Chilatherina pricei (Price’s Rainbowfish)
- Chilatherina sentaniensis (Lake Sentani Rainbowfish)
The reports have been prepared against the standard terms of reference and assess the suitability of these species for import into Australia.
How can I get involved
Comments are invited on each of the draft reports. They are available for public comment for 40 business days, closing on Thursday 10 March 2022.
Read the reports
All comments received will be provided to the applicant to respond to. Any relevant information provided will be considered by the Department in developing a risk assessment report for consideration by the Minister.
The draft assessment reports have been prepared by the applicant and are being circulated for public comment in compliance with section 303EF (2b) of the EPBC Act. The views and opinions expressed in the reports are those of the applicant and do not necessarily reflect those of the Australian Government or the Minister for the Environment.
In inviting public comment the Department would value commentary on the broader aspects of the applications or specific items such as;
- What diseases can these fish carry and what diseases are they known to be susceptible to from the aquarium trade?
- What are the likely potential impacts of this species, if these species were to establish a feral population in Australia?
Finalised risk assessment reports may be published on the Department’s website. Comments received during this consultation process may be used and referenced in the final report. Comments will be attributed to organisations, not to individuals. If you wish your comments to remain confidential, you should clearly mark the relevant part(s) of your comments as ‘confidential’.
If it is not possible to meet the deadline, please contact the Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Send your comments
Please forward any written comments to:
Listings and Threat Abatement Section
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
GPO Box 858
Canberra ACT 2601
Personal information that you provide will only be used for these purposes. Personal information may be disclosed to employees of Australian Government agencies assisting the Minister.
The draft assessment report has been prepared by the applicant and is being circulated for public comment in compliance with section 303EF (2b) of the EPBC Act. The views and opinions expressed in the report are those of the applicant and do not necessarily reflect those of the Australian Government or the Minister for the Environment.