Comments on this proposal closed on 24 November 2022. The text and documents below remain available for reference only.
About the applications
The Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water has received applications and the applicant’s assessment reports to include 6 species of Pseudomugil and 2 species of Kiunga on the Live Import List under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
The reports have been prepared against the standard terms of reference and assess the suitability of these species for import into Australia.
These species include:
- Popondetta Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil connieae)
- Forktail Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil furcatus)
- Ivantsoff’s Blue-eye (Pseudomugil ivanstoffi)
- Red Neon Blue-eye (Pseudomugil luminatus)
- Paska’s Blue-eye (Pseudomugil paskai)
- Vogelkop Blue-eye (Pseudomugil reticulatus)
- Bleher's Blue-eye (Kiunga bleheri)
- Balloch's Blue-eye (Kiunga ballochi)
How can I get involved
Comments are invited on each of the draft reports. They are available for public comment for 30 business days, closing on Thursday 24 November 2022.
Read the reports
All comments received will be provided to the applicant to address in finalising the assessment report. Any relevant information provided will be considered by the department prior to briefing the Minister.
In inviting public comment, the department would value commentary on the broader aspects of the applications or specific items such as:
- At what size can these fish be visually distinguished from other species in the same genus?
- What diseases can these fish carry and what diseases are they known to be susceptible to from the aquarium trade?
- What are the likely potential impacts of this species, if these species were to establish a feral population in Australia?
Finalised risk assessment reports may be published on the department’s website. Comments received during this consultation process may be used and referenced in the final report. Comments will be attributed to organisations, not to individuals. If you wish your comments to remain confidential, you should clearly mark the relevant part(s) of your comments as ‘confidential’.
If it is not possible to meet the deadline, please contact the Department at email@example.com
Send your comments
Please forward any written comments to:
Listings and Threat Abatement Section
Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water
GPO Box 3090
Canberra ACT 2601
Personal information that you provide will only be used for these purposes. Personal information may be disclosed to employees of Australian Government agencies assisting the Minister.
The draft assessment reports have been prepared by the applicant and are being circulated for public comment in compliance with section 303EF (2b) of the EPBC Act. The views and opinions expressed in the reports are those of the applicant and do not necessarily reflect those of the Australian Government or the Minister for the Environment and Water.