The World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef is the planet’s greatest living wonder. A vibrant, resilient ecosystem, it supports 64,000 jobs and contributes an estimated $6.4 billion to our economy.
$500 million boost for Reef protection
Like reefs all over the world, the Great Barrier Reef is under pressure. A big challenge demands a big response and, during the International Year of the Reef 2018, the Australian Government is investing an additional half a billion dollars in its health and resilience.
It’s the Australian Government’s largest ever single investment in reef protection, aiming to spark new and innovative responses from private investors and philanthropists.
It will build on the Australian and Queensland governments’ $2 billion Reef 2050 Plan, which is based on the best available science, draws on 40 years of analysis and is underpinned by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s strong management.
This is an investment not only in the future of the Great Barrier Reef, but also in Australian jobs and our economy as the Reef attracts tourists from all over the world.
It reinforces the environmental, economic, social and cultural importance of the Great Barrier Reef and that there is a role for everyone in protecting it for generations to come.
- Record investment in the Great Barrier Reef to drive jobs - media release 29 April 2018
- $500 million boost for Reef Protection - video
- The Reef 2050 Plan
- Half billion dollar landmark Reef funding - Great Barrier Reef Foundation media release 9 May 2018
- Reef Trust - Great Barrier Reef Foundation Partnership Grant Guidelines
- Grant Agreement Between the Reef Trust and Great Barrier Reef Foundation - 2018