© Director of National Parks, 2008
About the Report
This annual report was prepared in accordance with the Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act 1997, Finance Minister's Orders under that Act and the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.
The Director's review and the rest of this annual report, except the financial statements for the Australian National Parks Fund and the Auditor-General's report on those financial statements, constitutes the Director of National Parks' report of operations.
The holder of the office of the Director of National Parks is responsible under section 9 of the Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act 1997 for the preparation and content of the report of operations in accordance with Finance Minister's Orders.
Highlights for 2007-08
- Rebranding of Kakadu National Park to emphasise its Aboriginal culture and experiences
- Declaration of 14 new marine protected areas bringing the Commonwealth marine reserve estate to nearly 50 million hectares
- Completion of the first stage of rehabilitating old uranium mining sites in the south of Kakadu, including Guratba (Coronation Hill)
- Launch of the National Landscapes partnership with Tourism Australia and this initiative's first eight candidate sites
- High standard of financial management and controls