Namoi River. Photo: CEWO
Planning for 2022-23
The Commonwealth Environmental Water Office plans over multi-year time scales, to allow better integration of the planning of water delivery, trade and carryover. This year's Water Management Plan 2022-23 is one document comprising:
- An introductory chapter on how we plan and make decisions to use water for the environment.
- A chapter on managing our water holdings in the Murray-Darling Basin in 2022-23. This chapter discusses projected environmental demands, water availability and delivery, as well as plans for carryover, transfers, and trade.
- 12 valley-scale chapters detailing catchment-specific environmental objectives, recent conditions, supply, demand, priorities and monitoring outcomes/lessons learned.
As in previous years, this document will inform decisions made by the Commonwealth Environmental Water Holder on how to best use the available water to benefit the environment of the Murray–Darling Basin.
The Water Management Plan is complemented by two brochures for the northern and southern Murray–Darling Basin.
Consultation on the 2022-23 plan has occurred with the NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DPE) - Environment and Heritage Group and the NSW Department of Primary Industries – Fisheries, recreational fishing groups, irrigator groups, regional councils, Local Land Services and Aboriginal community.
Decisions on using Commonwealth environmental water will be made throughout the year based on seasonal, operational and management considerations. If you wish to provide suggestions for Commonwealth environmental water use please contact us at email@example.com or send us your suggestion by visiting: Your suggestions for potential water use options.
The Commonwealth holds the following entitlement types in the Namoi region:
- Upper Namoi General Security
- Lower Namoi General Security
- Peel General Security
For more information about current Commonwealth environmental water holdings in the Namoi Region, including please refer to Environmental water holdings.
Information regarding the characteristics of entitlements and the water resource plan held in the Namoi Valley please refer to NSW Department of Planning and Environment - Water