In July 2023, the Murray–Darling Basin Authority advised that full implementation of the Murray–Darling Basin Plan would not be possible by the legislated deadline of 30 June 2024.
In August 2023 the Australian, New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland and the Australian Capital Territory governments agreed to support amendments to the Water Act 2007 and the Basin Plan 2012 in order to deliver the Basin Plan in full.
This agreement will put the vital river system on a healthy and sustainable path.
The legislation necessary to implement this agreement, amendments to the Water Act 2007 and the Basin Plan 2012, will be introduced into the Parliament by the Australian Government in September 2023.
Basin Ministers agreed the following as part of their commitment to deliver the Basin Plan in full:
- More time to deliver Sustainable Diversion Limit Adjustment Mechanism (SDLAM) supply and constraints projects.
- More flexibility for Basin states to bring forward new supply projects.
- More options to deliver the 450 GL of water for enhanced environmental outcomes.
- More time to finish Northern Basin Toolkit measures to complement environmental outcomes in the northern Basin.
- More accountability measures for all Murray–Darling Basin governments including the Federal government to deliver on their obligations.
As at August 2023, Victoria is not a signatory of the agreement. The Australian Government continues to work with the Victorian Government and all Basin governments to progress full implementation of the Plan.
Download the Agreement in full: