Our role is diverse and reaches across Australia and the globe. Our science helps us address some of Australia's biggest challenges.
We produce and commission world-class research to apply scientific evidence to our decisions.
We employ hundreds of scientists, policy officers and professionals across 5 groups
Climate Change Group
You can help develop clean energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by:
- supporting the uptake of priority low emission technologies
- contributing to Australia’s long‑term emissions reduction strategy.
Energy and Resources Group
You could help us contribute to meeting the world’s energy needs by:
- supporting affordable, reliable, secure and competitive energy markets
- contributing to energy policies and programs.
Environment and Heritage Group
You could help take care of some of the world’s most unique environment and heritage areas by:
- guiding management plans for significant places
- developing waste management and recycling programs.
Major Environment Reforms Group
You could help inform major environment reforms for local and international benefit by:
- contributing to environmental research
- using the best scientific evidence to inform policies and programs.
Water, Climate Adaptation, Natural Disasters & Antarctic Group
You could help us advance strategic, scientific and environmental goals by:
- assessing and approving water recovery projects
- supporting research into Antarctica’s environment and its global influence on climate change.
What our staff say
Dr Rachel Robbins has sought out meaningful animal conservation work throughout her career, from researching great white shark behaviour to zookeeping for big cats and large carnivores. Dr Robbins now assesses exotic species imports. Her work protects Australia’s wildlife and environment.
"If you're a scientist and unsure if you're qualified enough for a role in Government, think about your transferable skills. Skills like stakeholder engagement and strategic thinking are highly valued in our work."
Dr Rachel Robbins
Senior Policy Officer, Listings & Threat Abatement