The department supports the Commonwealth minister responsible for energy and seeks to achieve Australian Government policy objectives in Energy Ministers Meeting decisions.
Energy Ministers are supported by 3 key market bodies:
- The Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC) develops the rules by which the market must operate.
- The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) handles the day-to-day operations of the electricity and gas markets.
- The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) enforces the national electricity market rules and makes judgements on the regulatory proposals of monopoly network operators.
Find out about:
- ACCC inquiry into improving electricity affordability
- Energy and Climate Change Ministerial Council (ECMC)
- Energy market legislation
- Gas markets
- National Electricity Market
- National Energy Customer Framework
- Oil Code of Conduct