About the document
On 19 November 2012 the then Australian Government Environment Minister made the decision to prevent mid-water trawl freezer vessels with storage capacity greater than 2,000 tonnes from operating in the Small Pelagic Fishery for a period of up to 24 months.
An independent assessment has been conducted by an Expert Panel to determine the environmental impacts of the declared commercial fishing activity, particularly on species protected by Australia's national environment law. The panel submitted its report to the Environment Minister on 22 October 2014.
Research reports commissioned on behalf of the Expert Panel on a Declared Commercial Fishing Activity to underpin the Report of the Expert Panel on a Declared Commercial Fishing Activity: Final (Small Pelagic Fishery) Declaration 2012.
- Finley, L., McIntosh, R., Hamilton, S. and Baker, B. (2013). Literature Review on the impacts on Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cth) protected species by large mid-water trawl vessels. Report prepared by Elgin Associates for the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (on behalf of the expert panel) 17 June 2013.
- Rogers, P. J., Earl, J. and Ivey, A. (2013). Review of impacts of localised depletion of small pelagic fishes on predators and ecosystems. Prepared for the Department of the Environment (on behalf of the expert panel) 16 October 2013.
- Ovenden, J. (2014). Review of genetic connectivity in six species in the Small Pelagic Fishery. Prepared for the Department of the Environment (on behalf of the expert panel) 30 May 2014.
- Patterson, T., Hilary, R., Arnould, J., Lea, M.-A. and Hindell, M. (2014). Provision of a technical assessment: role for spatial management strategies in mitigating the potential direct and indirect effects of fishing by large mid-water trawl vessels in the Small Pelagic Fishery on protected species. Prepared for the Department of the Environment (on behalf of the expert panel) 3 September 2014.
- Baker, B., Hamilton, S., McIntosh, R. and Finley, L. (2014). Technical review: development and application of bycatch mitigation devices for marine mammals in mid-water trawl gear. Report prepared by Elgin Associates for the Department of the Environment (on behalf of the Expert Panel) 12 May 2014.