Flora of Australia
Introduction (2nd Edition)
OUT OF PRINT
Download this book
Volume 1—Introduction (2nd Edition) is available for download as PDF file
- Flora of Australia Volume 1—Introduction (2nd Edition) (PDF - 30.86 MB)
The Flora of Australia is intended to provide, for the first time in over 100 years, a uniform description of the plants of Australia, with keys to enable them to be identified, and with information on the distribution and ecology of each taxon. In addition it will illustrate most genera and many species, and where appropriate, provide review essays of various aspects of the Australian flora. The text is designed to be used by all who have an interest in the flora, with technical terms kept to a minimum, a glossary, and succinct descriptions.
Volume 1 comprises a series of review essays, setting the context for the rest of the Flora of Australia series.
This second edition of the original introductory volume contains entirely new essays on many aspects of the flora, and Australian plant taxonomy. Included are essays on the history and bibliography of plant taxonomy, evolution of the climate and land forms, palaeobotany, the present climate and vegetation types, biogeography, utilisation and conservation of the Australian flora.
This volume provides an introduction to the Australian vegetation, and to the Flora of Australia project.
Complementing this volume is an Interactive Key to Australian Flowering Plant Families, produced by L.G.Adams & K.R.Thiele, which was published in July 1999.
The Flora of Australia is a tool to be used by biodiversity managers, field naturalists, students, biologists and community groups, and an encyclopaedic work for botanists and plant enthusiasts.
- Flora of Australia Volume 1—Introduction (1st Edition)
- The Families of Flowering Plants of Australia: An Interactive Identification Guide (Revised Edition)
Contents of book
Section 1: Classification and Bibliography
- Introduction (A.E.Orchard)
- A History of Systematic Botany in Australia (A.E.Orchard)
- Development of the Flora of Australia Project (A.S.George, A.McCusker & A.E.Orchard)
- Classification, Phylogeny and the Flora of Australia (A.Kanis, M.D.Crisp & A.E.Orchard)
- Annotated Bibliography (A.E.Orchard & A.S.George)
Section 2: The Environment
- Evolution of Australian Environments (L.A.Frakes)
- Present Environmental Influences on the Australian Flora (M.D.Fox)
Section 3: The Flora
- The Evolution of the Australian Flora: Fossil Evidence (R.S.Hill, E.M.Truswell, S.McLoughlin & M.E.Dettman)
- Biogeography of the Terrestrial Flora (M.D.Crisp, J.G.West & H.P.Linder)
- Present Vegetation Types (R.H.Groves)
- The Aquatic Flora:
- Terrestrial Wetlands and Waterplants (S.W.L.Jacobs)
- Mangroves (P.Bridgewater)
- Marine (D.I.Walker)
Section 4: Management
- Utilisation of the Australian Flora (A.E.Orchard & A.J.G.Wilson)
- Images of Australian Plants (H.J.Hewson)
- Conserving Australia's Flora (I.D.Cresswell)
Section 5: Glossary & Key
- Key to Families of Flowering Plants (A.E.Orchard)
- Glossary (A.McCusker)
About this book
Book series: Flora of Australia
Publishers: Australian Biological Resources Study/CSIRO Publishing
Authors: Various Authors, Illustrators & Photographers
Hardcover ISBN-10: 0 643 05965 2
Hardcover ISBN-13: 978 0 643 05965 8
Size: 250 × 176 mm (B5)
Number of pages: 670 pages, glossary, index
Binding: Hardcover, section stitched
Illustrations: illustrations, maps