The Australian Government will future-proof Australia’s water resources by establishing a National Water Commission and broadening the National Water Grid Investment Framework so it can fund a wider range of water supply projects.
The Australian Government’s is committed to:
- Establishing a National Water Commission – to drive ongoing water reform and future-proof Australia’s water resources.
- Broadening the National Water Grid investment policy – to allow funding for a broader range of projects. This will bring essential town water supplies in regional and remote communities within the scope of the funding, in addition to funding agricultural projects.
- Delivering a five-point plan to safeguard the Murray Darling Basin – upholding the Murray Darling Basin Plan, and laying the groundwork for the Basin’s future:
- Delivering on water commitments – including the 450GL for South Australia.
- Increasing compliance and improving metering as well as monitoring.
- Restoring transparency, integrity and confidence in water markets and water management.
- Increasing First Nations ownership and involvement in decision-making.
- Updating the science.