Date published: 31 May 2022 | Date updated: 9 June 2022
The National Greenhouse Accounts are a series of reports and databases that estimate and account for Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions. The 2020 accounts cover the period 1990 to 2020.
- fulfil Australia’s international greenhouse gas inventory reporting commitments
- let us track progress towards, and compliance with, Australia’s emissions reduction commitments
- help us design, implement and evaluate domestic emissions reduction policies
- inform future emissions reduction commitments.
National Inventory Report
The National Inventory Report fulfils Australia’s international inventory reporting requirements under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and its Kyoto Protocol.
These emissions estimates are prepared in line with UNFCCC and Kyoto Protocol reporting requirements and IPCC guidelines.
State and Territory Greenhouse Gas Inventories
An overview of annual greenhouse gas emission estimates for each Australian state and territory. Calculated on a UNFCCC accounting basis.
Explore emission estimates by state and territory for 2020
Explore emission estimates by state and territory for 1990 to 2020.
Explore emissions per capita and gross state product for 1990 to 2020.
Method and data tables
See how we develop the state and territory greenhouse gas inventories.
National Inventory by Economic Sector
An overview of annual greenhouse gas emission estimates by economic sector per the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC).
Explore emission estimates by economic sector for 2020.
Explore emission estimates by economic sector for 1990 to 2020.
Explore estimates of scope 2 emissions from purchased electricity generation for 1990 to 2020, by economic sector.
Method and data tables
See how we develop the national inventory by economic sector.
- How we track and report greenhouse gas emissions
- How we project and estimate greenhouse gas emissions
- How we fulfil Australia’s other reporting obligations under the UNFCCC
- Read previous issues of the National Inventory Report
- We also publish quarterly updates of Australia’s National Greenhouse Gas Inventory
- Visit Australia’s National Greenhouse Accounts (ANGA) website to explore historical emissions data and projections of future emissions