All scientific research – including archaeological and anthropological research – requires a permit under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
You may need more than one permit depending on the nature and type of your research.
Please answer the questions below to determine which permits you need to conduct research in the Australian National Botanic Gardens.
If you have any questions please phone (02) 6250 9450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Do you intend to conduct scientific research in the Australian National Botanic Gardens?
If Yes, you will need a permit issued under Part 12 of the EPBC Regulations and an approval for sections 354 and 354A of the EPBC Act.
You can apply for this permit via Parks Online Services.
2. Will your research involve killing, injuring, taking, trading, keeping or moving a member of a listed threatened, migratory or marine species or an ecological community?
If Yes, you may need to apply for a listed species and ecological community permit issued under Part 13 of the EPBC Act.
You will not need this permit if either of the following applies:
- The action is done inside the Australian National Botanic Gardens and is authorised under a management plan for the park (please email email@example.com to see if this applies to your research).
- The species you will impact is listed as threatened under the EPBC Act and the action is undertaken in accordance with a recovery plan that is in force (please email EPBC.firstname.lastname@example.org to see if this applies to your research).
For more information or to apply for a permit, visit: listed species and ecological communities.
You can also search for listed species on the Species Profile and Threats Database.
3. Do you plan to import or export wildlife?
If Yes, you will need to apply for a separate export permit under Part 13A of the EPBC Act.
For more information or to apply for a permit, go to Research.
4. Will you be doing research in the Australian Capital Territory outside the Australian National Botanic Gardens?
If Yes, you need to contact the ACT Government to see what permits you may need. Please visit Environment ACT or call 13 22 81.