Fauna Project Area
The rich and diverse Australian fauna is estimated at well over 250 000 species. At present, over 120 000 species (just under half) have been documented and described. Of the described fauna, the relatively well-known vertebrates are represented by about 7550 species. The abundant invertebrates are represented by around 114 000 species, half of which are yet to be described. ABRS produces books and posters on Australian fauna, and provides electronic checklists and identification tools. These include the Australian Faunal Directory, a free online public enquiry database that provides taxonomic and biological information.
Fauna of Australia series
The Fauna of Australia series provides an authoritative synthesis of the primary literature and other available information for animal groups present in continental Australia and its external territories (Australian Antarctic Territories, Christmas, Cocos-Keeling and Norfolk Islands), Lord Howe and Macquarie Islands, and the Australian Marine Exclusive Economic Zone. The copiously illustrated series is unique in providing such comprehensive family level accounts of Australia’s faunal diversity. These are coupled with illustrated keys, glossaries and a detailed index. The text is meticulously researched, contributed by invited specialists, and illustrated by Australia’s finest faunal illustrators.
Of the originally conceived 10 volume series, only five volumes were published. In future, any similar detailed faunal accounts for groups in the Australian Fauna will be published independently.
Zoological Catalogue of Australia series
Volumes in the Zoological Catalogue of Australia series were compiled as the source of taxonomic knowledge of the Australian fauna. The published volumes have now been incorporated into the Australian Faunal Directory.
Both the published Catalogue volumes and the AFD are of of great value and interest to taxonomists, zoogeographers, fauna survey and management authorities, ecologists, environmental consultants, public health and veterinary authorities, and others who require information on the nomenclature, taxonomy and biology of the Australian fauna.
- Full listing of Zoological Catalogue of Australia volumes
- Purchase Zoological Catalogue of Australia volumes
- Data available online in the Australian Faunal Directory
Other related books
- Australian Flora and Fauna Series 7
Atlas of Elapid Snakes of Australia - OUT OF PRINT
- Australian Ladybird Beetles (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) Their biology and classification
Hardcopy: OUT OF PRINT
ePDF and ePub: AVAILABLE
- Australian Longhorn Beetles (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) Volume 1 Introduction and Subfamily Lamiinae
- Australian Psylloidea Jumping Plantlice and Lerp Insects - OUT OF PRINT
- Castiarina Australia’s richest jewel beetle genus - OUT OF PRINT
- Evolution of Behavioural and Ecological Diversity: Australian Acacia Thrips as Model Organisms - OUT OF PRINT
- Pictorial Atlas of Australasian Culicoides Wings (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae)
- Tenebrionid Beetles of Australia Descriptions of Tribes • Keys to Genera • Catalogue of Species
- Undersea Jewels A colour guide to Nudibranchs
- Catalogue of Tunicata in Australian Waters
- Habitat Profiles of selected Australian Aquatic Insects
- Native Earthworms of Australia II (Megascolecidae, Acanthodrilinae)
- Numbers of Living Species in Australia and the World 2nd edition
CD ROMs & software
ABRS Identification Series CD ROM
- Fabulous Flatworms: a guide to marine polyclads - OUT OF PRINT
- Mites in Soil: an interactive key to mites and other soil microarthropods - OUT OF PRINT
- On The Fly: The Interactive Atlas and Key to Australian Fly Families - OUT OF PRINT
- Spiders of Australia: Interactive Identification to Subfamily - OUT OF PRINT
- What wasp is that? An interactive identification guide to the Australasian families of Hymenoptera
- Mites in the Rainforest
Hardcopy: OUT OF PRINT