This Methodology Determination (method) provides the rules for crediting emissions reductions to landholders who protect native forests that have repeatedly been cleared for cropping or grazing. Landholders must demonstrate they have the permission to clear existing native forest that has been cleared twice in the past. As part of the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF), crediting is based on carbon captured by not clearing the forest.
Read the Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative – Avoided clearing of native regrowth) Methodology Determination 2015.
Using the method
To use this method and take part in the ERF, you need to apply to the Clean Energy Regulator. The Regulator develops the methods and manages project registration, compliance and crediting emissions reductions for projects under the ERF.
Visit the Regulator’s website for:
- information on the method and how to use it
- project planning guidance, including eligibility requirements and how to apply.
Calculating the abatement
Project proponents must use the Full Carbon Accounting Model (FullCAM) software to calculate the carbon abatement of their projects.
There is specific guidance for using FullCAM with this method
Read the FullCAM Guidelines for the Avoided clearing of native regrowth method [4.9MB PDF] [2.7MB DOCX]. (includes both options of 2020 FullCAM Public Release)
Project proponents need to meet the requirements of the Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI) Mapping Guidelines for mapping project areas and carbon estimation areas.
Read the CFI Mapping Guidelines.
Consultation on the method
The Emissions Reduction Assurance Committee (ERAC) conducts public consultation before giving advice about making or varying a method. Once finalised the ERAC advises the Minister on whether the new or varied method meets the offsets integrity standards.
Read the ERAC’s advice to the Minister on making the method in 2015 [895KB PDF].
See the public consultation and method draft on the Australian Government Trove archive.
A minor variation to the method was made in 2018 and to 6 other methods to reflect the retirement of the online Carbon Farming Initiative Mapping Tool (CFI Mapping Tool).
- Environmental data—including forest cover data layers—is available on data.gov.au
- This method is enabled by the Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative) Act 2011 which also enables the 2015 Rule and 2011 Regulations
- Read about the Emissions Reduction Fund, including our department’s role.
- Read about method development and available methods.
Connect with us
- Subscribe to updates about the ERF
- Read emissions reduction news