Priority areas for offshore wind
The Minister for Climate Change and Energy announced the identification of 6 priority areas in Australia for offshore wind in August 2022. These areas have been chosen as they:
- have strong and consistent winds
- are close to areas of high electricity demand
- have existing electricity transmission infrastructure
- have existing transport and port infrastructure
- industry is interested in developing projects in these areas.
The areas are:
The process to building offshore renewable energy infrastructure, such as offshore wind farms, takes several years.
We begin by seeking advice from within the Australian, state and territory governments on existing infrastructure and other uses of the preliminary area.
Once a proposed area is determined, the Minister seeks public feedback and submissions.
The Minister considers a range of factors in the decision to declare all the area, some of the area, or not declare the area at all.
The Minister may declare an area if they are satisfied that the area is suitable for offshore renewable energy infrastructure.
If an area is declared, developers can apply for a feasibility licence to advance investigations to inform an individual project proposal within that area.
The feasibility licence phase allows developers to undertake detailed environmental assessments, geotechnical surveys, obtain approvals and undertake further consultation on their proposed projects.
If a developer meets all the required criteria under the feasibility licence phase, they can then apply for a commercial licence to seek approval of a project. The commercial licence phase allows developers to construct, operate, maintain and decommission infrastructure.
Declaring suitable areas for offshore wind is a decision for the Minister for Climate Change and Energy. We provide advice to the Minister after consulting with:
- other Australian Government departments and agencies
- state and territory governments
- industry stakeholders
- local communities
- the Australian public.
- Offshore wind in Australia
- Building an offshore wind industry
- Facts about offshore wind
- Legislation and regulations.
- Energy in our department
- Subscribe to our newsletter Australian offshore wind news