The National Waste Report 2020 report:
- provides data and information on Australia’s waste generation, recovery and fate for all waste streams and various material categories
- analyses this information by state and territory and on a per capita basis
- presents new data for 2018–19 and updated data for earlier years with better data now available.
- This means that the 2016–17 values in the 2020 report may differ from those published for that year in the 2018 report.
Download the Report
National Waste Report 2020 factsheet
See key data presented on a page.
National Waste Database 2020
Presented as a flat Excel database, this information is suitable for interrogation through PowerBI or similar tools.
The database contains waste data from 2006–07 to 2018–19, a user guide, a list of parameters used, and a register of data revisions made.
National waste reporting tools (2017–18 and 2018–19)
The national waste reporting tool was used to collate and transform waste data provided by the states, territories and industry to produce the national waste database. This database is the basis for the 2020 report.
- National waste 2017–18 reporting tool (XLSX - 3.14 MB)
- National waste 2018–19 reporting tool (XLSX - 4.69 MB)
National Waste Account 2020
The National Waste Account helps us understand the economic aspects of waste. The Account data provides information about trends in waste including jobs in Australia’s waste industry and growth in the value of the waste industry as a part of Australia’s economy.
Overall, the Account is an economy-wide view of how waste and recycled materials are managed and reused in Australia.